We challenge students to develop and refine their problem solving strategies and build the confidence and skills required to tackle unfamiliar challenges. The course prepares students to function mathematically in the world and provides a thorough grounding for further study in mathematics. Teaching will be to the new Level 4/5 GCSE which is equivalent to the old GCSE high grade C.
The course covers the following areas:
- Using and applying Mathematics: This covers problem solving and investigative mathematics.
- Number and Algebra: This covers using and applying number and algebra, numbers and the number system, calculations, solving numerical problems, equations, formulae and identities and sequences, functions and graphs.
- Geometry: This covers using and applying shape, space and measures, geometrical reasoning, transformations and coordinates, measures and constructions.
- Ratio: This covers using scale factors, diagrams and maps, dividing a given quantity into two parts, apply ration to real contexts and problems including conversion, comparison, scaling mixing and concentrations .
- Probability and Statistics: This covers recording, describing and analysing the frequency of outcomes of probability experiments using tables and frequency trees, apply ideas of randomness, fairness and equally likely events to calculate expected outcomes of multiple future experiments and apply the property that the probabilities of and exhaustive sum of outcomes sum to 1.There are three examination papers: Paper 1 (Non Calc); Paper 2 (Calc). Paper 3 (Calc) All of these examinations will be taken in May & June 2018
You must be aged 19 or over at the time of enrolment.
- Start Date: Sep, 2017
- Attendance: Part-time
- Duration: 33 Weeks
- Course Code: TMS52D0
You must be aged 19 or older and have a grade D or grade 3 in Maths or successful completion of a screening assessment
Students will be able to show employers that they are numerate which will be required for certain jobs.
This course gives excellent preparation for those students wishing to
progress onto higher level study through encouraging candidates to
develop the skills necessary to be competent and confident in their
No tuition fees are payable for students who do not already have a GCSE grade C or grade 4 above in Maths.
Cost of GCSE Maths textbooks:
- AQA GCSE Mathematics Foundation Sets.Practice Book.By Greg Byrd and Lynn Byrd.Published by LongmanISBN: 978-1-408232-73-6
- GCSE Mathematics Exam Board: AQA.The Revision Guide.Foundation Level.ISBN: 978-1-84146-541-8