We challenge students to develop and refine their problem-solving strategies and build the confidence and skills required to tackle unfamiliar challenges. The course prepares students to function mathematically in the world and provides a thorough grounding for further study in mathematics. Teaching will be to the new Level 4/5 GCSE which is equivalent to the old GCSE high-grade C.
The course covers the following areas:
- Using and applying Mathematics: This covers problem-solving and investigative mathematics.
- Number and Algebra: This covers using and applying numbers and algebra, numbers and the number system, calculations, solving numerical problems, equations, formulae and identities and sequences, functions and graphs.
- Geometry: This covers using and applying shape, space and measures, geometrical reasoning, transformations and coordinates, and measures and constructions.
- Ratio: This covers using scale factors, diagrams and maps, dividing a given quantity into two parts, and applying ratio to real contexts and problems including conversion, comparison, scaling mixing and concentrations.
- Probability and Statistics: This covers recording, describing and analysing the frequency of outcomes of probability experiments using tables and frequency trees, applying ideas of randomness, fairness and equally likely events to calculate expected outcomes of multiple future experiments and apply the property that the probabilities of an exhaustive sum of outcomes sum to 1. There are three examination papers: Paper 1 (Non-Calc); Paper 2 (Calc). Paper 3 (Calc) All of these examinations will be taken in May & June 2020 (Dates are fixed by Awarding Organisation)
You must be aged 19 or over at the time of enrolment.
This course will be delivered 3 hours per week (subject to change).
Successful applicants will be allowed to select their preferred class time (daytime or evening) at enrolment in August 2021.
No tuition fees are payable for students who do not already have a GCSE grade C (4) or above in maths.
Your tutor will advise you on which text you need to purchase at the beginning of your course and a scientific calculator.