This Level 2 Technical Certificate in Horticulture is for you if you are 16-19 and looking to start a career within the horticultural sector. Horticulture is made up of many diverse industries delivering the science, art, technology, and business of growing plants.
You will learn about:
- Health and safety in land-based industries
- Working in the horticulture industry
- Plant naming, identification, selection and science
- Establishment and maintenance of plants
- Care/ maintenance/ use of tools and machinery and business skills
In addition, you will also study commercial gardening and landscaping.
All students who have not achieved a grade 4 or above in GCSE English and/or maths will need to study these subjects alongside their chosen qualification.
You will have the opportunity to acquire practical experience at the college’s horticulture unit as well as gain valuable industry experience with a range of guest speakers and educational visits. In addition, you will have the opportunity to be involved in horticulture projects at the campus and local shows.
You will be required to gain a relevant work placement to complete the mandatory 150 hours of work experience as part of your qualification.