Early Years Practitioner (NCFE CACHE Level 2 Diploma)

Early Years Practitioner (NCFE CACHE Level 2 Diploma)

Subject Area: Childcare Adult Learning


Course Information

  • Start Date: Sep, 2022
  • Attendance: Full-time
  • Duration: 1 Year
  • Course Code: 152734
  • Entry Requirements

    • 3 GCSEs at grade 3 (D) including English and/or maths, OR Level 1 Caring for Children English and/or maths at level 1.
    • Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) must be in place at enrolment & students must register with the DBS Update Service.
    • Evidence of 10 days of recorded work experience in a relevant Childcare placement.

    Course Overview

    This course is based at our Ipswich campus.

    This exciting employment-focused course allows its graduates to work in a childcare setting as assistant practitioners. The programme includes three days a week in classes at College and two days a week in a childcare setting (arranged by the College), giving you fantastic opportunities to hone and practice your skills and gain invaluable experience to help you on your journey to employment.

    Throughout the course students will cover fourteen different units ranging from child development, play and learning, health and safety, professional practice and safeguarding to equality and diversity.

    A range of assessment methods are used including: direct observation and reflection of own practice, written assignments and learner’s own plans. This qualification has the benefit of using on-going assessment rather than an end of year exam.

    All students who have not achieved a grade 4 (C) or above in GCSE English or maths will need to study these subjects alongside their chosen qualification.

    Take a 360° virtual tour of your learning environment - Suffolk New College

    Course Highlights

    This study programme offers you the opportunity to learn in a real working environment, with 2 days a week working with children in an early years setting. Students last year had the opportunity to visit a Forest School, the Museum of Childhood in London, and the Nursery World Exhibition, all of which supported their programme of study. Further developments this year include the opportunity to take part in a range of employment and enrichment activities within PSE sessions, to support students in developing wider skills to support employment.

    Core Skills Covered: Adaptability | Learning | Interpersonal Skills | Listening | Professionalism | Supervising

    Next Steps

    On completion of this level 2 qualification, students are assessed as competent to work in a supervised capacity e.g. a play assistant. Last year 61% of our students progressed within the college. The remaining 39% of students either gained apprenticeships or employment, several being taken on by their work experience placement. To progress onto level 3 Childcare you MUST pass all knowledge and skills elements of this Level 2 programme, and achieve a minimum of GCSE grade C or grade 4 in English, and Level 1 Functional Skills in maths. All students will be offered a range of advice and guidance to help support your career progression.

    Childcare Pathway thumbnail - click for further details

    Tuition Costs

    No tuition fees are payable for students aged 16 – 18 on 31 August 2022.

    For all students aged 19+ please contact Student Support.

    For details regarding fee remission, please visit our Tuition Fees page.

    Additional Costs

    (Subject to review)

    £24 for the textbook,

    £14 for a polo shirt for placement,

    £44 for enhanced DBS check to be completed prior to enrolment, with £13 fee to register for the update service, which students pay direct to DBS by debit or credit card (subject to change),

    £50 for educational trips.