Early Years Practitioner (NCFE CACHE Level 2 Diploma) - on the coast (Leiston)

Early Years Practitioner (NCFE CACHE Level 2 Diploma) - on the coast (Leiston)

Subject Area: On The Coast (Leiston)

Apply

Course Information

  • Start Date: Sep, 2020
  • Attendance: Full-time
  • Duration: 1 Year
  • Course Code: 143922
  • Entry Requirements

    3 GCSEs at grade 3 (D) including English and/or maths, OR Level 1 Caring for Children English and/or maths at level 1.

    Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) must be in place at enrolment & students must register with the DBS Update Service.

    Course Overview

    This course is based at Suffolk New College - on the coast (Seaward Avenue, Leiston)

    The current programme includes three days per week in classes at College and two days per week in a childcare setting arranged by the College. There are 4 areas of learning: Introducing the role of the early year’s practitioner; legislation, framework and professional practice; play, development and learning and professional development. A range of assessment methods are used including: direct observation and reflection of own practice, written assignments and learner’s own plans. This qualification has the benefit of using on-going assessment rather than an end of year exam.

    Course Highlights

    This study programme offers you the opportunity to learn in a real working environment with a 2 day a week work placement. Last year students had the opportunity to visit a Forest/Beach School, the Museum of Childhood in London and the Nursery World Exhibition, all of which supported their programme of study. Further developments this year include the opportunity to take part in a range of employment and enrichment activities within our weekly professional development sessions to support students in developing wider skills to support employment.

    Core Skills Covered: Adaptability | Learning | Interpersonal Skills | Listening | Professionalism | Supervising
    

    Next Steps

    On completion of this level 2 qualification, students are assessed as competent to work in a supervised capacity e.g. a play assistant.

    Last year 61% of our students progressed within the college. The remaining 39% of students either gained apprenticeships or employment, several being taken on by their work experience placement.

    To progress onto level 3 Childcare you MUST pass all knowledge and skills elements of this Level 2 programme, and achieve a minimum of GCSE 4 (C) in English, and Level 1 Functional Skills in maths. All students will be offered a range of advice and guidance to help support your career progression.

    Childcare Pathway thumbnail - click for further details


    Tuition Costs

    No tuition fees are payable for students aged 16 – 18 on 31 August 2020.

    For all students aged 19+ fees will be published at a later date.

    For details regarding fee remission, please visit our Tuition Fees page.

    Additional Costs

    (subject to change)

    £24 for the textbook,

    £14 for a polo shirt for placement,

    £44 for enhanced DBS check to be completed prior to enrolment, with £13 fee to register for the update service, which students pay direct to DBS by debit or credit card (subject to change),

    £50 for educational trips.