We are pleased to be able to offer in partnership with Ipswich Borough Council, the ‘Introduction to the Role of the Professional Taxi and Private Hire Driver’. This course is intended for candidates who either work or wish to pursue a career as a licensed taxi driver in the passenger transport sector.
The course will be delivered over 2 full days at Suffolk Rural, Otley near Ipswich. Upon successful completion of the course, delegates will receive a jointly endorsed certificate from Ipswich Borough Council and Suffolk New College.
APPLICATION PROCESS FOR A COMBINED HACKNEY CARRIAGE/PRIVATE HIRE VEHICLE DRIVER’S LICENCE
- Either obtain a hard copy application form by emailing Licensing@ipswich.gov.uk or telephoning 01473 432063, or complete an online application at https://licensing.ipswich.gov.uk/PAforLalpacLIVE/1/WcaHome
- Make an appointment with Licensing by telephoning the licensing number to complete A DBS form (please see the DBS application process in Appendix B);
- Book an appointment with Licensing to undertake the assessment of the Conditions of the Licence/Byelaws
- 4. Undertake a driving assessment with one of the companies listed below and submit a pass certificate to the Council;
- Total Driving (UK) Limited: http://www.totaldriving.net/ad… then go on to make an enquiry and select the training required as Taxi/PHV Driver (assessment).
- The Blue Lamp Trust: https://www.bluelamptrust.org…. Training: email@example.com or by phone at 07770936682.
- DriveTech: 0345 373 1360, www.drivetech.co.uk
- Obtain a qualification in the course of An Introduction to the role of a Professional Taxi and Private Hire Driver at Suffolk New College;
- Submit a completed medical examination form on the prescribed form from the Council which has been completed by your GP or by one who has access to your medical records.
Once you have submitted:
- your DBS certificate
- passed the assessment
- submitted a pass certificate for a driving assessment
- submitted a certificate of qualification in the training course An Introduction to the role of a Professional Taxi and Private Hire Driver
- submitted a medical form completed by your GP, or a GP at the practice you are registered with or a GP who has access to your medical records, which confirms that you meet the DVLA Group 2 medical standards of fitness to drive
- paid the appropriate fee, provided there are no criminal or motoring convictions or cautions
a combined hackney carriage and private hire driver’s licence will be issued to you for a maximum of 3 years.
Course timings: 09:00 – 17:00
Course cost: £150
Please Note: Ipswich Borough Council (IBC) has recently introduced an initial assessment for anyone who wishes to apply for their Taxi and Private Hire licence. Please ensure that you either take this IBC initial assessment or at least understand the requirements of the IBC initial assessment before booking onto the ‘Introduction to the Role of the Professional Taxi and Private Hire Driver’ course with Suffolk College, as refunds can no longer be made as per Suffolk New College Tuition Fee Policy.